29.3.13

Brown Skin

You know I love your brown skin.... 





 This is India Arie's new album cover, Cocoa Butter. For all of you who don't know who she is, she is an American recording artist with an amazing, unique voice. She is probably one of the most underrated female artists in my opinion, and up until now has stayed true to who she is no matter what *queue*.. "I am not my hair".


India preaches about self love, self acceptance, staying true to yourself and how she is not the average girl from the videos. So i'm sitting here with confusion as to why she would allow this image, that has clearly been photoshopped to be used as her album cover. As a fan of India's myself, I must say i'm disappointed, she looks like a hypocrite right now. India, is a very dark skinned girl for starters, but from this image, you wouldn't tell! I hardly recognised her! What the hell is in that cocoa butter?!
Has the pressure of the media and music industry finally caused India to crack and conform to what most people in society today say is beautiful? Does she think that being 'lighter' will boost her album sales?


I honestly find it really sad, that so may people feel as though if you're lighter, your hair is straighter, or if you're stick thin then that classes as being more beautiful. It is really sad. So many young girls bleach these days too, fair enough, i'm sure you have your reason's, but don't try and fool people and say that you don't, your knuckles and elbows give you away girl! *side eye* Then, you have the boys that go on about "lighties, and yellow-bones", I won't even comment on that, because they can't be blamed I guess, people are responsible for their own actions.

Obviously, this is a very controversial issue, and certainly one that is very debatable, so comment below and tell me how you feel.

Mpho x

3 comments:

  1. Im very disappointed by this, when i saw this image i didn't recognise her.When it comes to issues of light skin vs dark skin I feel that black people have allowed European dominance to dictate and influence what is accepted as BEAUTIFUL. The sad thing is that it's true...the whiter you look the more an artist tends to sell as they appeal to the mass buying power i.e white people. I feel its an internal issue, & if people like india are conforming then its becoming a losing battle. I wont lie and act like I know what it feels like to be a dark skin lady and any extra discrimination that comes along with it but i just wish people would embrace who they are or atleast leave the hypocrisy behind if they wish to change themselves. I guess she's tired of being underrated :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love her! follow you now! want visit my blog? http://gretagreatmode.blogspot.mx/

    ReplyDelete
  3. lets look at if from another angle, at the end of the day to continue making money to make music they album has to sell!!! as you said mpho she is very much underrated, lets understand why she isn't receiving love. her music is the truth she sings about love not lust, she sings about black women loving black men"brown skin" she's speaking about lover "who you are". that doesn't happen in every day life check out how light and skinny Beyonce is of late,(i won't even get into that one) girllllllllllllll!!! sorry lol anyway the media control everything that we see right your iPhone, th imagery you see day in day out....and....what do you see. light skin females, long hair, blonde . Beyonce, kim K. I'm blabbing i'll stop now shah gosh....just my thoughts.

    ReplyDelete