16.6.14

Black Hair Care | Thinning Edges

Get The Basics... 

If a supermodel like Naomi Campbell can have a hairline like this, just imagine what lurks underneath the average girls weave\wig! This is no laughing matter. The truth of the matter is that thinning edges are a recurring issue for black women, young and old, and it's hard to pinpoint the cause.

Not all black women have problems with their edges (lucky you), but for some of us that do, I hope by sharing some of the products I use and have worked for me, that you too can finally get your hair looking healthy and back on track again. Like I said before, there are various reasons why your edges could be thinning and things will only get worse if you don't do something about it now. Many people are in denial, and think by hiding their hair under a wig or fringe\side-sweep hairstyle and only applying hair food to the affected areas at night time the hair will miraculously grow back. It won't. (Trust me I know)

I was one of those people in denial until it was too late and the end result was for me to do the 'Big Chop' (BC). The only way to grow my hair back was to shave it all off, and embark on a natural hair journey. My hair was growing at a decent rate and I was loving my 'TWA' (Teeny Weeny Afro) but after a few months I got bored of the short, blonde look everyone seemed to be rocking and I got a wig made. What I should have known by then is that I have sensitive edges. I loved the wig, however the tension from the tight elastic (holding the wig in place) was damaging my edges. I opted for braids, a form of protractive styling I thought. Wrong. They only made things worse. Or should I say I made things worse because they were too tight to begin with, extra long which meant they were heavy and pulling on my hair and to top it all off the constant 'sleeking' of the edges (with the toothbrush and edge control haha) set me back 10 steps.

For the past few weeks now I've been using these 4 products and I haven't looked back since. My hair is looking healthier than ever and most importantly my edges are back like they never left haha. I will be posting a picture soon.

1.) Dr. Miracle's Hot Gro Hair and Scalp Treatment: Blended with Aloe, Shea Butter and Jojoba Oil. Conditions and promotes healthy hair growth. This hair food comes in different strengths, I got mine in super so I could feel that tingly and airy feeling Dr.Miracle products give your scalp. I must add, this hair food does have a strong smell so I tend to apply it in the evenings.

2.) Protectiv Mega Growth Anti-Thinning Temple Recovery: Blended with Olive, Shea and Avocado to reduce temple breakage, thickening the hairline and crown. As you can see from the pictures, this product is nearly finished, i've been applying small amounts of it daily.

3.) Jamaican Mango & Lime Original Jamaican Black Castor Oil: Treatment for dry damaged hair. There are different types of castor oils that you can use, however I opted for this one after reading and watching a lot of reviews on youtube. Not only can you use this for your hair but it's great for the skin too. I sometimes apply a tiny bit to my face when it feels dry. The consistency is quite thick, so you only need to apply a small amount each time. The amazing thing about using pure oils, is how nourished they make your hair feel, especially if you have dry, brittle hair.

4.) T444Z: For massive hair growth, volume and thickness. Repairs hair line. Stops balding, dandruff, scalp dryness, itchiness and hair loss. This tiny pot cost a whopping £15! That's a lot for us when hair food is usually as little as £3. But for it to cost this much it must work right? Right! After watching numerous reviews and hearing a few of my friends talking about this product I decided to try it out myself. And I can honestly that after two weeks I have seen some change, so I can't wait to see how my hair will look like in about a months time. I've been massaging small amounts to my scalp every day, and you honestly don't need to apply a lot as it is very oily and having a shiny forehead aint cute.

Anyway, I hope this will help someone out there. I am not an expert on hair care, I'm just simply sharing what works for me. Comment below if you have any products you think I would benefit from.

Finally, know your hair and what works for you. Be cautious with cornrows, braids, weaves and other styles that are potentially damaging your hair. If you're suffering from bad edges, try putting your hair in a protective style for a few weeks, and take care of those edges daily with the essential oils. Or you'll end up like Miss Campbell...

Mpho x



2 comments:

  1. That's a really enlightening way of putting it. There is an aspect to this where it's about watching out for the base condition and working from there, just like the usual thinning out of hair like you said. However, we can step out of this perceived inevitability and realize that we can just, say, go with a hair transplant, instead of watching out for thinned hair. Then our options open up and expand, with the type of look that we can have. It should be a really great deal from there and something we can truly run with. Thanks for sharing!

    Byron Brewer @ Knight and Sanders

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous10/07/2014

    Thank you for sharing. Do you use all for products at once? Right now i use Dr. Miracle sometime it tingling and sometimes i feel nothing.

    ReplyDelete