25.1.14

Get Your Life!


At midnight on the 13th of December, bitches across the world were proclaiming how KING BEY "gave them life" over the world's best kept secret… Her self-titled album, and not just any old album, no, no, a VISUAL album, complete with 14 songs and 17 videos. What a total surprise right? I mean, she literally created history. What other artist has ever even thought to do that? She dropped the album with no warning and no promotion. Beyonce is a pure and utter genius, she didn't have to promote, she had everyone doing it for her!

I absolutely love Beyonce, but after the 1st listen of the album I was probably the only person in the world rolling my eyes into the back of my head. Don't get me wrong, one or two (or three) of the songs were doing it for me, but the rest I was just not feeling. You see, i'm one of those people that need to listen to something a gazillion (is that even a word?) times over before I make up my mind on it. This was a whole new Beyonce. Ratchet Beyonce. Beyonce that literally dedicates the whole album to Jay's package and bedroom skills kind of Beyonce lol. I still don't know how to feel about this to be honest, how sex is the core to all the songs we hear nowadays. Not only that, but the endless tweets about how Beyonce "slayed" lives just annoyed me, I just couldn't fathom how sad some people sounded, idolising someone in this way, it baffled me. Why is it okay for Beyonce to sing/talk about sex so much and act a certain way but when the likes of Rihanna and Miley Cyrus do it it's a different story?. Can anyone relate? no? Didn't think so…

Fast-forward a month and some days, I have finally caught on, I got on the bus. Yasss hunty! (ratchet behaviour due to listening to the album). On a serious note, I take back some of the things I said and my pre-judgement about the album. I have been listening and watching the videos non-stop and I must say it was a very creative and clever move on her part. She has definitely shut me up and set the bar very high for other women in the industry.

What did you first think about the album? Has your opinion changed? What's your favourite song? Comment below :) 

One of my favourite tracks on the album:

Rocket














1 comments:

  1. *air punch* I'm glad you got on-board!! Lol, I looove the album; infact I loved it from the first listen. I thougt the album signifies growth and maturity and I loved how she explained the reasons behind the albums in the video..... It's true of every women that you all have different sides and you all have ratchet yonce inside of you. I LOOOOVE rocket, def my favorite song too. I also REALLY love Pretty Hurts, Superpower, Mine, Heaven and Haunted.

    ReplyDelete